Frequently Asked Questions

Q:  How do I reserve the ball field?

To schedule use of the ball field, first check to see if the date you want has been reserved. To do this, choose the Ball Field Schedule item on the menu list to see if the date you want is open. If that date is available, email the town treasurer at with the desired date (please include your name and telephone number). I will put your name on the calendar and notify you via email.  There is no charge for use of the ball field.

**Please respect the facility by cleaning up after yourself and observing posted hours of use.**

Q:  How do I reserve the Pavilion?

You can’t.  The pavilion is available on a first-come, first-served basis only.  If another group is using the pavilion or another group wishes to use the pavilion on the same day, please be courteous and offer to share the facilities.  There is no charge for use of the pavilion.

**Please respect the facility by cleaning up after yourself and observing posted hours of use.**

Q:  Can I borrow chairs, tables, etc. from the community center, ball field, or pavilion for an outside function?

No. Unless the function is directly sponsored and/or chaperoned by the Town of Maple, town equipment is not to be removed from the facility.

Q:  How do I get a topic put on the agenda for the next board meeting?

At every board meeting, time is set aside for open discussion where any issue can be brought before the board.  However, if you want an issue to be formally addressed by the board for action, you must contact either the Chairman or Clerk (see Town Contacts section) in plenty of time before the meeting agenda is published.

Q: How do I rent the community center?
You can look at the town Calendar on this web site to see if the date you want is available.  Print or download the rental agreement from the Forms & Permits section, fill it out and send the money to the address on the form (please send a separate check for the deposit so we can just return the check to you after we’ve checked the building).  Remember, if you want something put on the sign, it’s an extra $10 charge.  The key for the building can be picked up at the Aroma Café in town.

**Tables, chairs and kitchen equipment are available in the community center.  However, you are responsible for setting them up and returning them to their original place and state of cleanliness.  Also, your garbage must also be removed from the facility.  If a significant amount of work must be done to return the facility to its previous condition, you may lose the $30 deposit.

**We do not charge for some events such as funerals, charity fundraising, and municipal needs (we DO charge for church fundraising).  Contact us if you think this applies to your function.

Please be respectful and leave the facilities in the same condition as when you found them.

Call the Treasurer (see Town Contacts section) if you have more questions.

Q:  Could I get my pool filled by the town?

Yes! The volunteer fire department will fill your swimming pool for a small charge.
Please contact our fire chief, Mike Lundeen at 715-363-2520.

Q:  How do I get a dog license?

You can download the dog license application in the Forms & Permits selection under the Community section of the web site.  The form includes all the instructions to get your license.